Thai Meatballs with Green Curry Sauce (MAKES 20 PIECES)
Thai Green Curry Sauce
- 1½ tsp Thai green curry paste
- 1½ cups coconut milk
Meatballs - Organic, hormone free turkey from a reliable local source is a good substitute for the pork and beef called for in this recipe
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 green onions, white and green portions, finely minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp Asian chili sauce
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup coconut oil
1. To make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the curry paste with the coconut milk. Reserve.
2. To make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine the pork, beef (or turkey alternative), green onions, cilantro, garlic, orange zest, oyster sauce, Asian chili sauce, nutmeg, and eggs. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Roll chunks of the mixture in your hands to form meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.
3. Place the rice flour in a shallow medium bowl. Roll the meatballs in the flour to coat them thoroughly.
4. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until it is almost smoking. Sauté the meatballs, turning occasionally, until they are golden brown and no longer pink in the center, approximately 8 minutes. The meatballs can be combined with the sauce at this point, or both the meatballs and the curry sauce can be stored separately in covered containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
5. Add the green curry sauce to the meatballs and bring to simmer. Serve the meatballs in a warmed bowl or on picks.