I recently did a segment on “The Wonders of Coconut” for an upcoming cooking show (details about that will be coming soon!). Do you know how many ways coconut can be used for cooking, baking, medicinal purposes as well as for beauty? Here’s the scoop:
- Coconut Oil may be used for sautéing veggies and unlike other oils (olive, vegetable etc…) the coconut will not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperatures.
- When used as an oil or milk, coconut has much milder flavor than you would imagine – so don’t be afraid that your dishes or baked goods will be dominated by coconut taste.
- “Good Fat” – Coconut oil is composed predominately of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) which do not have a negative effect on cholesterol and help to protect against heart disease.
For Medicinal Purposes:
- Kills viruses and bacteria, fungi and yeasts in the body
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients
- Reduces inflammation
- Stimulates thyroid function (and thereby treating hypothyroidism)
- Fights tooth decay and gum disease
- Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems
- Aids in dissolving kidney stones
- Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion
- Prevents wrinkles and age spots
- Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun
- Great all natural massage oil!
- No harmful and harsh toxins on your skin
*And don’t forget about coconut water which when raw, is a super hydrating beverage!
Have questions about how to incorporate more coconut into your life?