We always hear about the health benefits of dark leafy greens but what about crisp delicious romaine lettuce? I say, don’t pass it up!
The nutrition facts about romaine:
One head contains...
- 206 mg. of calcium – approx. 21% of the recommended daily allowance according to the USDA.
- 6 mg. of iron – are you reading my vegetarian and vegan friends?
- More beta-carotene than a carrot!
- Packed with vitamin C and K
- Rich in the B vitamins
- High in folate which is especially great for those who suffer with allergies and asthma and for mom’s to be.
- Minerals galore including copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, and zinc. (Selenium and zinc are two of the five fertility boosters according to our friends at PregPrep)
When choosing romaine always go organic and look for big dark leaves on the outside of the head. Those outer leaves are the ones that contain the highest concentration of phytonutrients and antioxidants.
Want a great recipe that everyone will love? Definitely try Hubby’s Classic Cesar Salad – developed in our kitchen by my hubby this salad is a most requested dish at dinner parties and family get togethers.
Happy cooking…happier eating!