"After a visit to the beach its hard to believe we live in material world..." -Pam Shaw
I love the sun…I can spend countless hours outdoors, working in my garden, hiking, or just lazing the day away on the beach (my favorite!). Unfortunately all that sun exposure can often be too much for my delicate skin.
Since making the shift to a holistic lifestyle I have given up all commercially produced beauty products – especially sunscreens - due to their harsh chemical ingredients – many of which are known endocrine disruptors contributing to an increase in cancer incidences, auto-immune disease and overall compromised health. Check out the latest article in Time Magazine entitled, “80% of Sunscreens Don’t Really Work or Have ‘Worrisome’ Ingredients: Report” which sheds a spotlight on the dangerous ingredients and biggest offenders in the sunscreen market.
Luckily I found a way to make my own sunscreen using simple ingredients which provide safe and effective coverage from the sun...and you can make this simple recipe for yourself too!
- ½ Cup organic non-GMO coconut oil
- ½ Cup shea butter
- 12 drops of jojoba, sunflower or sesame oil – easily absorbed, nourishing and contains its own natural low level of SPF
- 60 drops lavender essential oils – soothing and healing to all skin types
- 12 drops vitamin E oil – Acts as a preservative to your homemade sunscreen
- 3 Tablespoons of Non Nano Zinc Oxide – With particle sizes larger than 100nm this type of zinc oxide sits on the outermost layer of your skin, scattering and absorbing UVA and UVB rays.It is non-toxic and typically non-irritating.For this recipe I recommend using 15% zinc oxide which will provide an SPF of 12-19.You can increase or decrease according to your needs.
- In a double boiler combine coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba/sesame/sunflower oil.Heat gently until all ingredients are just melted then remove from heat and allow to cool a little.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. *You may want to cover your nose and mouth so as to avoid breathing in the tiny zinc oxide particles directly.
- Store in an amber jar in the refrigerator.
In addition to wearing my 100% natural homemade sunscreen please also remember to avoid being out in direct sun between 10AM and 2 PM and wear a wide brimmed hat to protect your delicate facial skin and chest.
Now you're ready to go soak up that sun!